The Kitchen - Cooling Products
The best temperature for storing fresh products are in the fridge at 0-4 °C. The cooling increases storage life of products for a couple of days up to a couple of weeks depending on food type. The cooling does not prevent bacterial growth nor enzymatic activity but slows it down. The duration of a cooled products’ storage is indicated either by a ‘best before date’ or simply stated as tohow long the product is fresh after opening.
This can be indicated in many ways, with a date underneath the can, on the price label, on the lid or in another clearly visible manner. It should, therefore, be easy to observe whether it is still advisable to consume the product or not. It is sometimes difficult to remember when the packaging was opened.
One way to know is to write the date directly on the package. When food is damaged it is usually clearly discernible. If the damage is not visible, taste and odour will tell us that the food should not be eaten. We are very sensitive to whether food has become damaged or not. No chances should be taken when considering the safety and freshness of food products.
- Some products like coffee are adequately stored in closed packaging without being cooled, but last longer in the fridge.
- Meat and fish should be stored at the bottom of the fridge, where it is coolest.
- Fruit and vegetables can be put at the top of the fridge but some fruits like bananas and apples do not last longer when refridgerated.
- Potatoes and garlic should not be stored in the fridge but in a dark place.
- Remember only to open the fridge for a short moment in order not to lose the cool. That prolongs the lifetime of the food.
- Cleanliness is very important, especially after packaging has been opened.
- Close the packaging safely so that bacteria cannot reach your food.
- Remember that you are wasting the Earth’s resources if you buy a lot of food that winds up in the garbage.
Guðrún Arndís Tryggvadóttir „ Kælivara“, Náttúran.is: April 11, 2014 URL: http://www.nature.is/d/2007/06/22/klivara/ [Skoðað:Sept. 20, 2021]Efni má nota eða vitna í samkvæmt almennum venjum sé heimilda getið með slóð eða fullri tilvitnun hér að ofan.
skrifað: June 22, 2007
breytt: Aug. 11, 2014